RSS

(@arleigh)
Member Admin
30/06/2017 10:06 am  

I have read 64, mostly Plaidy.

ReplyQuote
(@carole)
03/07/2017 12:51 pm  

11 Victoria Holt novels so far. Just started a reread after a gap of many years. 

ReplyQuote
(@arleigh)
Member Admin
04/07/2017 7:44 am  

I've discovered, working at bookstores since the early 2000's, that many people know the name Victoria Holt, but few know of Jean Plaidy. In interviews she has stated that the Holt books were more popular in the US, and Plaidy in the UK. Not sure about other countries. I discovered her at Borders Bookstore, and probably would not have if it hadn't been for Philippa Gregory's beautiful book covers. I noticed them, and decided to read one, which began my interest with royalty fiction. The Three Rivers Press Plaidy covers at the time featured the lovely portraits on the spine, which made them stand out and brought them to my notice. There is something to be said for attractive covers, at which the older Plaidy/Holt/Carr paperbacks mostly failed terribly! Every time I recommend my favorite writer to a customer, I have to explain that though the cover looks like a horrible bodice ripper, it's really great writing!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register