Forum

Hi all, I'm the site owner, Arleigh!  

RSS

(@arleigh)
Member Admin
30/06/2017 10:24 am  

Royal Intrigue has been around since 2006. It has been an informational/blog site for Jean Plaidy's works (hence the "Royal"), and just added this forum feature in June 2017. I was late getting into the Holt books, but am enjoying them very much now, which I suspect will be the same for the Carr books once I get to them.

I love collecting books and memorabilia of the author. I have several signed books, photographs and letters that I have found for sale online over the years. I also enjoy researching clues to her life. She was very reclusive about her personal life.

I'm 38 years old, have been married for 17 years, and I have two daughters (neither are great book lovers, unfortunately). I work at an independent bookstore, and I edit reviews for the Historical Novel Society. I do have writing aspirations, though have not honestly tried my hand officially. I have over 300 book reviews posted on my 10-year-old website, www.historical-fiction.com and on the HNS website, Amazon ,Goodreads, and Royal Intrigue.

ReplyQuote
(@carole)
03/07/2017 1:06 pm  

Victoria Holt novels are my favourite although I do love historical fiction. I think I like them for sheer escapism and they are a great distraction from everyday challenges. Once I've finished reading everything by Victoria Holt I plan to delve into the world of Jean Plaidy.

I'm also a bit of a book hoarder and enjoy family history research. 

ReplyQuote
(@arleigh)
Member Admin
03/07/2017 4:08 pm  

Glad you made it to the forum, Carole! I'm still getting the hang of the settings, and it was holding your comments to moderate, but they are all here now.

If you've read the Holt books My Enemy the Queen and The Queen's Confession you will know what to expect from the Plaidy books. Other than the fact that she had contracts for a certain amount of books each year, I don't know why those two would have been considered Holt instead of Plaidy.

ReplyQuote
(@sarah)
04/07/2017 8:49 am  

Hi!  Glad to be here on the forum.  I've read many of Plaidy's novels, just not the super-rare ones.  I read the Victoria Holt and Philippa Carr books during high school and college, and had a really boring secretarial job after graduation that gave me enough time to get through the major Jean Plaidy series in chronological order.  I especially liked her Georgian series, since it's not a period of royal history you often see depicted in fiction.

My favorites are the Philippa Carr novels, especially the earlier ones.  I'll read almost any historical novel with a family tree in it!

ReplyQuote
(@carole)
04/07/2017 1:51 pm  
Posted by: arleigh

Glad you made it to the forum, Carole! I'm still getting the hang of the settings, and it was holding your comments to moderate, but they are all here now.

If you've read the Holt books My Enemy the Queen and The Queen's Confession you will know what to expect from the Plaidy books. Other than the fact that she had contracts for a certain amount of books each year, I don't know why those two would have been considered Holt instead of Plaidy.

I've not reached The Queen's Confession/My Enemy the Queen yet but they do sound Plaidy rather than Holt. The House of a Thousand Lanterns is next on my VH list. The Curse of the Kings was the furthest I got in 1970's.

I think I might try The Goldsmith's Wife as that has some references to Richard III?

ReplyQuote
(@arleigh)
Member Admin
05/07/2017 4:20 pm  

Yes, I have quite a lengthy article about The Goldsmith's Wife. I have a typed letter from the author regarding it.

http://royal-intrigue.net/posts/eleanor-hibbert-letter-about-jane-shore-in-the-goldsmiths-wife-by-jean-plaidy/

ReplyQuote
(@arleigh)
Member Admin
05/07/2017 9:14 pm  

Sarah, the Georgian saga is my favorite as well! I've read all but 3 of them I think!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register